Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Aubrey's Arrival: Details and Pictures

I am going to try to keep this post from being too lengthy, but I wanted to write the story of Aubrey's arrival so that I can always remember (as if I'd forget...I know)! I had a regular doctor's appointment on Thursday morning...my 37-38 week appointment. Up to this point, I had no idea if she was making any progress in making her debut. I had been having some contractions off and on the few weeks before, but nothing consistent enough to send me to the hospital. So...I went to my appointment, without my overnight bag and by myself, and the doctor quickly informed me that I was 6 cm dilated and could not leave the hospital. I was pretty emotional at that point. My parents were one day away from being in Hawaii, Edmond was at work, and I couldn't get in touch with my friend Amy who was staying with us (in her defense, she was busy cooking meals for us, so it was really ok!). I was just beginning to panic when I thought to call my neighbor who could help me to get in touch with both Amy and Edmond. While I was on the phone with her, Edmond called and was on his way to get my bag, cameras and some clothes for himself. He made it to the hospital before they even took me back to Labor & Delivery....and we were both so relieved!!! Amy rode with him so that she could drive my car back to base. This way, she could pick Riley up from daycare and then drive him to the hospital when we were ready.

After we were settled in the L&D room (which was HUGE..for only the 2 of us), I had my epidural and the doctor came in to break my water (maybe about noon). He then realized that I was on antibiotics for GBS (don't know much about this, but that they want to do 2 rounds of antibiotics, 4 hours apart). I had just had my first dose so he decided to hold off on breaking my water. He came back around 4:00 to break my water and things really started moving along then. At about 5:45 I started feeling lots of pressure and called the nurse. We did a "test" push and she said we were ready to go!!! The doctors came in at 6:00 and 3 pushes later...Aubrey was with us. It was so surreal!! With Riley...I pushed for 2 hours...so it was a relief when she came so easily.

Edmond left a few hours after the birth to put Riley in bed and show him pictures (he came back to spend the night with us). I couldn't believe that I wasn't freaked out to be by myself with her so soon!! At the hospital here, there is no nursery, so the baby is with you the entire time. I was quite nervous about that, but it all went pretty well. The first night was not too bad and they discharged us after 24 hours. My parents got into town a few hours before we were discharged and I don't know if I've ever been so happy to see them. I was pretty bummed that they missed the birth, but now they were going to have lots of good time with Aubrey instead of waiting around on me to deliver.

Because we were discharged so early, they had us bring her in for her first new baby check-up the next day. She had lost a bit of weight (from 7 lbs, 7 oz down to 6 lbs., 12 oz.) so they had us bring her back in on Monday and then back again on Wednesday. By Wednesday, she was up to 7 lbs. I felt better about her weight at that point and so did they, I guess, because we didn't have to go back. We will have a visit from a nurse next week and I am anxious to see how much weight she has gained.

Ok...sorry I didn't succeed in making this a short post!! If it bores you, feel free to just look at the pictures!!! Hope you are all doing well!

Whew....he made it!!
Aubrey Jeanette Long arrived at 6:06 p.m., weighing 7 lbs, 7 oz!
Just chillin'!
She had her first bath shortly after birth.
The next day, Riley came to the hospital to meet his little sister. He kept saying "baby, baby!" He was pretty excited!
Our little family


Here we are getting ready to leave the hospital...24 hrs. after delivery!
Aubrey had a few gifts for Riley.
Home at last....with our sweet little girl!


5 comments:

Wade's World said...

Congrats again Karla! She is beautiful. Your little family is so cute :)

Anonymous said...

Loved reading the story! She is adorable and you look amazing. Hopefully your getting some rest.

The Dressler's said...

Congratulations. Y'all are the cutest family :)

Anonymous said...

I loved the story! My dream delivery includes me getting to my doctor's appt. and being 6cm dilated!

Kandy said...

So glad everything went well. She is such a cutie! Loved her story. Every little girl needs a grand entrance! Take care! Love you!
Kandy