Last week was possibly my most difficult week of motherhood so far. It started on Monday when I decided to keep Riley home from school because Edmond was gone on an overnight flight (2 days). I just thought he and I would have some good hangout time. He started off the day acting cranky, not eating much and then I noticed a few ulcers on his bottom lip. I took his temp, but it was normal. After his nap, during which he slept very little, we went to the grocery store and ran into one of his teachers. She informed me that 2 kids in his class had the hand, foot, and mouth virus. Well, Riley has already had it (we think), so I wouldn't have been too worried except that it was the only thing that made sense. Sure enough, when we got home, I checked his temp again and he had over 100 degree temp. AAGGHHHH....and of course Edmond was gone overnight...of course! Bad turned into worse very quickly. By Tuesday he would eat almost nothing and was not drinking as much as I would have liked. I had a meeting at work on Tuesday, but luckily one of our friends who doesn't have any kids, came over to stay with Riley while I was gone. I felt horrible even asking her to do it, but it was a parent meeting that involved several teachers/staff from school and there was no way we could reschedule. She was a lifesaver!!! To make a long story a little shorter....he was worse again on Wednesday, and not any better on Thursday. Finally on Friday, we started to turn a corner. Saturday was a much better day and he finally started to eat. Today he is almost back to normal, but we are worn out from the rough week!!! He had so many ulcers/blisters in his mouth it was just pitiful. There was some bleeding, LOTS of tears, TONS of TV watching, very little sleep for both of us, and a very exhausted 36 week pregnant mama!!!! I have no idea how I would have done it with 2....really how do you do it???!!
Anyway, last night we had a few friends over to grill out and we had so much fun. Some friends of Edmond's from high school were here visiting and our neighbors came over with their kids as well. I will post a few pics from this!!
I hope you all had a great holiday as well. Thanks to my husband for all he does to serve our country! Riley and I are so very proud of him!
My pitiful little boy!! This face says it all (sorry for the belly shot...I can't really avoid it these days).
Feeling better on the 4th of July!
I just had to decorate a little!
Riley with his friends (and balloons), Ava and Elijah. They seemed to have a good time!
4 comments:
I am so sorry you had to deal with illness, especially without the help of family.
We had a great time Carla!!! Thanks for having us over! It's great to have such wonderful neighbors.
Oh yeah.. we know all about the hands, foot and mouth virus! Hadley had it twice( hers was more of the rash and it turned into ant bite looking things) Sounds like Riley had it worse than her. Glad he is better. Can't wait for Aubrey J to arrive!!
Four more weeks until you have two babies!! How exciting!
If Riley is anything like Luke, you don't have to worry about him feeling left out because of a new baby. They seem to keep their reign as #1. =)
Post a Comment