Saturday, July 31, 2010

Top 3

For several weeks now I have been meaning to post about a few different changes that have been taking place in our family! Well, the last of the 3 is a fairly new change, but the other 2 happened several weeks ago. Here it goes:

1) Riley is officially pacifier-free...woo hoo!!!! I cannot tell you how excited we are about this. At around a year old, he was only allowed to have it when sleeping (except of course on plane trips). He did very well with that transition, but started becoming very attached to his pacifier around 16-18 months. I told myself that after our trip home to Louisiana in May/June, I would start the transition of taking it completely away, but we had one thing after another going on (mostly our move) and I didn't do it. Well, when he was REALLY sick with hand, foot, and mouth virus several weeks ago, his mouth hurt so badly that he didn't seem to want his pacifier. So....we just didn't give it to him....he didn't ask...and that's pretty much the end of the story! I can't believe it wasn't more dramatic. I thought for sure that it would be. He really hasn't acted interested in Aubrey's pacifier's, so I am thankful for that too!

2) I am taking a significant amount of time off from work (at least one semester, maybe more than that). Edmond and I started talking about this possibility in the spring, but my supervisor was on sabbatical and she was the only one who could give the official "ok" to me. It became official early July and I completed all of the necessary paperwork the week Aubrey was born...perfect timing!! Six weeks was just not enough time home with my little one and we decided it was best for our family that I stay home at least through Christmas. I may go back after the holidays, hopefully just part-time, but I also may take the rest of the school year off. We will just have to see how this time at home goes!!

3) This is what I am most excited about sharing...my husband...who is the coolest guy around....is getting promoted to Captain!!! The ceremony will take place on Monday and although we've known for awhile it was going to happen, we didn't know WHEN it would happen until this past week. I am so very proud of him. He says that he didn't DO anything to get this promotion, but I know better than that! He must be doing something right!! Anyway, we are so happy to still have my mom with us...she will go with us to the ceremony and be able to take pictures and watch the kids. I get the honor of pinning his Captain bars on his uniform, so it would have been interesting had I been by myself with a 21 month-old and a 2 week old! I promise to post pics afterwards.

That's all for now! Here are a few pics of our precious little girl who is growing like a weed (or flower as we like to say) and our little dinosaur!



6 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats to Edmond and I LOVE the dinosaur picture. Is it Hawaiin halloween?

Unknown said...

Congratulations on Captian and being a Captain's wife! That all sounds very impressive. We are very proud of you. Can't wait to see the pictures. Love and miss you all.

Karla and Edmond Long said...

Roos...I'm so proud of you learning how to comment!! I did buy Halloween costumes a bit early, but I figured he would love playing in it (he is really in to dinosaurs these days) and I was right....we had a hard time getting him to take it off!!

The Tylers said...

How awesome is all of that news!! Blessings indeed. Hope you are getting some rest as well!!

Unknown said...

Congratulations on Captain!! So very proud of you and thankful for your service!

Jared and Michelle said...

Congrats to Edmond! That is something to be proud of ! Aubrey is sooo cute! i love all that hair! I am glad Riley is enjoying his costume! It is super cute! Tell your mom hello for me!